Sunday, December 02, 2007

a day in early december

Today was another full class day, teaching two intense holiday papercrafting classes at Scrapbooks Plus, my last until the new year. Winter has definitely arrived, we all declared as the wind and then rain spiked the day. Two visiting British ladies new to scrapbooking joined us, adding to our bubbly holiday spirit and also to the already-oversubscribed class. It took the quick emergency run of my generous friend Carol in Phoenix to pick up and FedEx the dozen extra papers needed that we couldn't find in stock elsewhere. We're all eagerly anticipating Carol's return to Scrapbooks Plus for her classes early next June.

After class I mustered the energy to apply a fresh coat of glossy paint in our foyer where one of the 9+1/2-foot tall trees will go -- tomorrow, I hope. The tree lights will softly sparkle and reflect off the walls. Can you tell I'm behind in my holiday decorating? But we did enjoy a long Thanksgiving visit with our oldest son in Boston, who deliciously brined his first turkey on his first Thanksgiving as family host. We obediently followed our granddaughters from class to class on "Grandfriends Day" at their school and played full-scale bigs-and-littles soccer in the park. Evening entertainments included front-row seats at a winning Celtics game and mellow jazz at our son's trendy club, The Beehive. A very protracted phone call to Iraq included our middle son in the festivities. Then we ferried youngest son back to UVA, and transported daughter's family to the airport for their trip to Belgium and Germany, where they'll extend their stay to include shopping at the Christkindl Markt.

Tonight, after an easy supper of corn chowder, dill bread, salmon with pesto, and French green beans (all from Costco except for my bread-machine bread -- how easy is that!), I started one of the layouts for the Scrapbooks Plus Design Team, using the metallic-infused watercolor spray Glimmer Mist in Gold and Burnt Red. Heidi Swapp masks on ivory cardstock provided a background that shimmers in the shadow box frame I made using SEI holiday papers from the Design Team kit. I varied the masking to try different color effects. Unfortunately, I didn't muster the energy to figure out better lighting to actually show you the shimmer. Tonight the painted paper is resting under weights to flatten it before I continue experimenting tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm anticipating falling asleep to the lulling sound of rain falling heavily on the skylights.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your project with the glimmer mist turned out incredibly beautiful. Such a fabulous piece of artwork!!

~*~ Patty said...

I found you by way of Korie's WeWillAlwaysHaveParis and just had to say how lovely your Glimmer Mist paper turned out! I have them, you've inspired me to 'use' them! Great blog! Happy New Year!