Tuesday, December 04, 2007

it's beginning to look a little like . . .

Continuing in the spirit of gathering simple holiday vignettes, this hall-table arrangement of some of our Finnish collectibles reminds me that sprites and tonttus are also part of our family holiday tradition. One of our trees is always decorated with folksy Finnish and German ornaments collected over many years. With lots of wooden figures, birch bark and paper ornaments, garlands of real popcorn and cranberries, and tiny white lights like fireflies, it's the tree that our children (when they were small) and now our grandchildren enjoy the most. It's the tree which they are in charge of decorating. But every year certain ornaments have a habit of escaping the tree. Like these two tonttus, off to investigate wherever they think I might need help. It was their idea, when they spied the wooden sauna cups and birch bark snow shoes, to add snowflake punches in red to resemble the Scandinavian cross-stitched linens that are also part of our holiday heritage.


Earlier this year, Lidy at French Garden House sent me this lovely table runner, stitched in red with my family monogram. We agreed it was meant to join our family this year. I love how it looks, draped casually next to the old Meissen soup tureen, as though preparations might be under way for a warm winter meal.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi! thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for leaving such a kind comment. I love your Christmas vignettes. It's so nice to make your heritage a part of the celebrations, and that table runner is gorgeous!

Enjoy the season!
xoxo,
Mary

Sandra Evertson said...

The red and white is so crisp and lovely!
Happy Holidays!
Sandra Evertson

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That looks like a K for Karla to me!!!

What a pretty table top, that runner is meant to be with that tureen.

Thanks for the invitation, I would love to get together in VA sometime. I will be there at least one week a month. It would be fun to have some Bella time!!

Junie Moon said...

I enjoyed reading about your Finnish traditions. It's always fun to learn and share in traditions we hold dear to our hearts. The table runner is really lovely; I've a great fondness for redwork.