Friday, March 07, 2008

tagalong

While I was haphazardly "unplugged" in Florida, my beautifully-organized friend Jeanette suggested there might be 7 random things about disorganized me that I could pull together in one place. Obviously, it takes me a while to get as many as 7 things together.  Of course, even this randomness has its rules:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

So, what can I say about life in the erratic lane?

• I love to bake, but since I have no sweet tooth, I always reduce the sugar in the recipe by at least half. It delights me that people then say my pumpkin bread or my goodie cookies or my whatever are the best they've had, when the main difference is that the other tastes shine through without the sugar overload. Besides, science is beginning to prove that sugar is second only to sun exposure in hastening the aging process. (I pay attention to such things, you know, regardless of how little I can do about it now.)

• Stored somewhere in my basement are 54 matching king-sized sheets, box-pleated to hang as curtains. When we lived on the occupied side of Jerusalem, renting a marble-floored villa constructed by a Palestinian oil man whose wife preferred to live at a more socially advantageous height in the Jerusalem hills, we needed that many sheets to cover the three glass-walled verandas. One morning, as I drew back the curtains on the bedroom veranda, I was astonished and chagrined to see that the Arabs camping in the nearby field had sorted through my garbage to find and lay out like patchwork in the sun all the plastic baggies I had discarded.

• In high school, I was the only girl on the trampoline club. Like a human basketball, I was tossed back and forth in flips, up to the top of the pyramid, somersaulting off our team formations as all the hunky guys pounded the trampoline and flexed their well-developed muscles. Sort of an early Cirque du Soleil -- without the cool music and costumes. Still, although no other girl volunteered to join me in the air, lots envied me the proximity to the muscles.

• In college, in spite of not being an English major, I snagged the post of class rep to meet all the visiting British and American poets and writers who came to speak or run workshops. That included poet Anne Sexton, who was still an exotic and sophisticated woman to us then, before her illness seriously affected her career. She was just about to win the Pulitzer when I last saw her.

• Collecting well-crafted boxes is a serious hobby of mine. I love how the old wood and fixtures look and feel, how the hidden compartments are fitted in, and how much attentive crafting can be put into a small utilitarian object. Among my favorites are my mother's old maple treasure box, several brass-fitted writing boxes, the black Russian lacquer boxes from my trip to Moscow and Leningrad, a Shaker box, and olive wood boxes that still smell of the Middle East. Oh, and an inlaid German box from early in our marriage, and a whole stack of woven hemp OP boxes from Gaza. Plus the Finnish carved birch boxes, some of which are painted red, and . . . you get the idea.

• Books are another passion. It's very hard for me to consider using old books as an altered book resource. Any place will do for reading, although I have my favorite window spots. My most favorite reading nook used to be way up in the grand old trees at my family home, where I could look out over meadows and stretch my imagination to follow those absorbing writers.

• My current obsession is reading mysteries. Something about there usually being a neat and concise rounding up of the clues arrayed along the way appeals to me in my normally chaotic life. At the library, I sweep all the books by one author off the shelves to read at once, so I can appreciate that author's style (and better figure out the ending beforehand.)

Who will tag along? Two bloggers I'm newly enjoying are Nancy and Erin, both starting their tenure on the Scrapbooks Design Team. My sweet friend Amy is getting her blogging rhythm back and could certainly entertain us with 7 random things about mothering. Can Korie come out and play? Also on my list to know better are Polly, Pia, and Mari, one of many Scandinavian blogs that celebrate a pale palette, but she adds an English version, too.

3 comments:

Korie B. said...

I've asked my mom & she says I can come out & play after I finish my dinner....

Jeanette said...

I'm always guaranteed new-found knowledge when I read your blog. And sugar and aging is one of them!

Thanks for playing along. Hope to see you soon. :)

pia said...

wow pamela, thanks for this post filled with awesome details about yourself! and for asking me to play along. i will try to do so soon, and i shall let you know!