Sunday, April 06, 2008

tinkering ink wall hanging project

Blue is a difficult color for me to use in my design work. Since my earliest art training, when a professor stated flatly that blue exists so rarely in nature that it is largely a manufactured and fugitive color and should be used only carefully, I am always hesitant to employ it. But the fun of the Scrapbooks Plus Design Team is being presented with choices outside your usual and preferred color range. So for this month's navy-based Tinkering Ink kit, I tried to devise an interesting project that would allow me to warm up the cool blues and lavenders, using sunny yellow and even warm black and lots of shiny bling. This 9-section wall hanging plays off both sides of the double-sided patterned paper and used the whole pack of Tinkering Ink felt embellishments.


Each section has its own arrangement, with lots of other fun embellishments to add to the 3-dimensional effect, including the Martha Stewart butterfly punches which fold up their wings. I've added only three small black-and-white photos of my grandchildren, but you could add more photos on other sections of the hanging, allowing some of your embellishments to extend onto the photos.


This lower section of the hanging shows two of the Tinkering Ink felt embellishments. To the left is a large round felt flower medallion with a Sizzix bird die cut, a Marvy scalloped oval punch, and Heidi Swapp bling. To the right is a felt tag, from which I cut the small blue flower medallion to center the My Mind's Eye transparency flower and the large yellow paper flower. Then I used the rest of the white felt tag to cut leaves for the flower stem, adding a butterfly and more Heidi Swapp bling to finish the arrangement.

This month's Scrapbooks Plus Design Team layouts, cards, and projects will remain on display in the crop room frame until the 15th of April, when the new month's designs will take their place.
.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

This is not a color you see very often in scrapbooking. And what you've done with it looks incredibly inspiring and oh-so vibrant. :)