Wednesday, May 07, 2008

celebrating vintage part two

.

Although crafting with "vintage" finds is relatively new to me, antiques have always been a part of my heritage. But it is high fun to join friends in a hunt for "vintage" finds to add a lively spirit to my nearly-revamped studio. Especially when the shops are as spirited as these. On a Whim beckons with a polka-dotted silo and continues the color scheme even to the wrapping paper.


Two card-carrying "vintage" finders joined in the hunt, which means they employed their good humor to both enable and compete for the choice finds. Debby (above) and Kitty (below) have a thing for bird finials. Who knew?  Since I was the driver and needed to stay dispassionate, calm, cool-headed, and above the fray, I rationalized to myself that bird finials were about to be an endangered species and I should just look for something else.


Luckily I found, tucked almost out of sight in a basket, this gently pink-tinted tablecloth to add to the coveted piles in my linen closet. It has just a blush of color with its delicate applique borders and center.  


Further north up the road from Leesburg is Lucketts, a combination of buildings and dealers for the true hunt-and-peck troopers. But we started in the Beekeeper's Cottage because, well, we liked the name and then we really liked the colors. Two young women run this cottage filled with Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic and other romantic home furnishings that they often refinish themselves.  Lots of vignettes caught our eye. Enjoy the vision, including the wallpapered stairs.














































3 comments:

SharonVM said...

Just to let you know, I grew up in Lucketts and my brother, mother and father all live currently there . I am up there (and drive past the big pink and polka dotted silo) nearly every weekend. When I was a kid in the 4th grade, I won my first "art contest" that the General Store held. That General Store is now the Bee Keeper's Cottage. You could buy the old fashioned candy in those great huge jars for a few cents...penny candy we called it. I doubt you could find much now in that store for a penny. I'm glad to see you guys had a good time in my "home town"!

Debby Schuh said...

Great pictures of the best day! You really captured how delightful these stores were. I'm loving my treasures!

Jeanette said...

I've yet to take the time to visit these lovely places. It is on the top of my to do list. :)