Thursday, September 11, 2008

still smiling

.
It was so freezing cold in the cabin on my late-night flight home from Phoenix that all the passengers were bundled up in sweatshirts and blankets. The flight was only a third full so there weren't even enough warm bodies to add a little heat. After a full week of friends, shopping and Creative Escape classes in 104+-degree temperatures, I wanted nothing more than to sleep, but I couldn't stop shivering long enough. It wasn't long before I had to tuck my bare toes into my cloth purse on the floor under the seat so they wouldn't lose feeling. Now my sore throat and I are still hustling to get up to speed in between croaky little cat naps.

Speaking of friends and shopping, here are some of my sweetly-smiling partners in crime last week. Jeanette, Carol, Kitty and I spent all Wednesday enabling each other in Carol's favorite haunts -- until Kitty somehow managed to be wearing the very necklace I decided I wanted right after she bought it. See those lovely black beads and the soldered fleur-de-lis charm from Melrose Vintage around her neck? No matter. For consolation, I bought the crown sitting next to me on the counter, below right (thanks for the photo, Jeanette).




Only for friends will I voluntarily eat Mexican food. :) It's not the heat, it's the refried beans. How can that possibly sound good to someone raised in the PA countryside? Naturally, since we were in the sweltering southwest, my friends all seemed to crave Mexican for almost every meal. One evening we ate at Mangos Mexican Cafe, complete with lots of bright blue paint and gutsy fresh and fiery tastes. My meal even came with an egg fried on top to seal in the flavor (actually that sounds a little like the PA countryside). Can you believe those humongous margaritas, the size of small green oceans, floating invitingly in their color-coordinated glory in front of Kitty, Virginia, and Bunny?


As a designated driver, Carol drank iced tea with me, in spite of all the signs to the contrary (I mean those signs in the background). She was the most generous hostess all week, from cooking a delicious meal straight out of my PA childhood to even saving me seats in class when the hike from my hotel room took too long.


After CE on Sunday, Carol and I returned to Melrose Vintage to pick up Debby Schuh who was teaching her class there, Michelle White from Paper Tales visiting from San Diego for Debby's class, and Diane and Wendy, the dynamic mother-and-daughter duo who own the fabulous shabby chic store. At My Florist Cafe, we lingered over a late lunch right next to the baby grand piano until it was time for Carol to race me to the airport and away from the warmth of so many wonderful women.


.

3 comments:

Korie B. said...

Aaaah.... Mangos!
I think I've mentioned that I grew up in Mesa. What I wouldn't give for an afternoon of margaritas and good food.
You're making me homesick!!

Beverly said...

I know you girls had a wonderful time. A few of my "Old Timer" buddies at Two Peas went, also. I think they are starting to recover.

Jennifer Sizemore said...

It sounds like SUCH a fabulous time!!!