Wednesday, March 04, 2009

art journal for moving house

.



My granddaughters in Boston will be moving soon from their current house (sold earlier than expected) into their new house (not quite ready), so I thought they would enjoy a little portable entertainment while everything is being packed up. This past weekend during the House of 3 online Open House, I purchased their large printable download kit called House Warming. Heidi Swapp, Rhonna Farrer, and Janet Hopkins all contribute to this site, and each did a sample version of an album using the kit downloads (check them out). I decided to make my version a clean and bright art journal for the girls, who love to draw and paint.




Keeping with the cheery yellow primary color of the kit, I printed the cover on a yellow file folder, cut narrower for the front door and wider for the back to provide more protection for the page extensions. The front cover dimensions are 10+3/4 inches high by 7+3/4 inches wide, to give you an idea of size. This allowed all the subsequent pages to fit in my regular-size Epson printer. Not all the pages you see are printed from the Housewarming kit. Some are scrapbooking papers and ledger papers, and some are printed composites of different papers, but most are from the kit.




Because I wanted pages with room for the girls to draw, I altered some of the House of 3 files just a bit, removing their black cutting lines and shifting some image positions. Instead of adding my choice of embellishments, I wanted to compile a fun art journal with pages of various sizes, lots of open spaces and interesting hand-punched borders. The borders are made using Fiskars, Martha Stewart, and Stampin' Up punches.




The journal is loosely bound with rings that will allow the book to lie flat for working on the pages. And of course, there's plenty of room for the girls to add many more pages as they create. Although I've distinguished the books with their initials (Making Memories felt alphas), they'll want to add their own ribbons and other embellishments to make each journal their own.




Although he isn't moving house, my grandson also loves to draw, so he gets an art journal, too, with a few different pages. The fun advantage of the printable download kit for "hybrid" paper projects is being able to make modifications in size and arrangement to suit your project and then making multiple prints as needed.




These two close-ups are examples of the slightly modified downloads from the House of 3 kit -- the yellow stripe is excerpted, the chair is repeated, and the damask background is lengthened and centered on the page with no cutting lines.
.

5 comments:

Janet Hopkins said...

I love this so so much...and art journal for moving, what a perfect use for it. We are moving soon too so I may just have to do this for my daughter as well.

great job!

JeanetteS said...

This is lovely, Pam! I downloaded one of their blog backgrounds to use on Twitter. They certainly know how to make a girl feel like a girl!

Debby Schuh said...

I love what you've done with these! What a great idea!
I have a full kit in my cart at House of 3 but now I'm thinking I should I have the version you got, so I can manipulate the images. Is it easy?

carolwingert said...

What a great idea...the kids are going to LOVE it! Very clever.

candy said...

Cool idea!

:)
candy