Wednesday, June 24, 2009

embroidery party

.



Even though I forgot my camera and can't show you the yummy chicken salad made by Amy's dad or the dainty little cupcakes showcased on their pedestal stand with little fairies beckoning us to taste, I can tell you what a fun day we had lunching and stitching at sweet Amy's embroidery craft day.   ClaudineLorraineSueHope, Lia and I all came together to progress with our beginning or rusty embroidery skills, bringing our bits and pieces to add to our sampler and to share across the table.




Beforehand, as a little treat to myself, I started a needle book to keep track of my needles. So far I've hand-sewn the cover, using soft pink chenille on the front, lining it with white felt, and binding it with pink blanket tape. Inside I'm adding a pink linen page for the needles, binding the raw edges with red blanket stitch. But, since the page is double-sided, I'm having trouble ending and starting the threads without making a big lump where I anchor the ends. So I brought the needle book-in-progress to Amy's for advice.




Happily, both Amy and her mother Marjorie with her soft southern drawl demonstrated stitch after stitch. Marjorie showed me a blanket-bag project she was edging with blanket stitch and showed me how I could roll my linen edges to hide the raw fabric and tuck in the thread ends.

Amy's joyously-colored embroidery sampler (see here and here) inspired us all to draw some squares on our background fabric and get started. My beginner's hand was a little shaky, but Claudine plunged right in, sewing on some buttons and beads to remove that blank slate feeling.




My sitting next to Sue afforded me another visual treat.  Sue used to own a vintage dress shop and generously shared her pile of gorgeous vintage lace bits which she plopped temptingly right next to me.  Using Claudine's idea to get over the hump, I found a small lace remnant to sew as a corner frame above the bird Amy iron-transferred onto my linen. I think Sue called that row of white stitches I made along the top of the lace an entredos stitch.  Then I bravely tackled some French knots to anchor the little flower sections.  And finally I used some back stitch and Amy's fill stitch to add a leafy branch.  Phew!  So much time, so few stitches to show you.




Next up is the little bird.  And if the early mornings stay cool for the next few days, I think I'll take my embroidery out to my favorite deck chair. My comfy chair (shown in the first photo) is covered with the quilt I purchased at half price at the Beekeeper's Cottage at Luckett's last week on our girls' shopping day. Oh, and my sewing bag is from last year's Silver Bella Prada Schmada class with Charlotte Lyons.  And then I'll carry my embroidery on the plane to France, just in case I have any free time during my visit . . .



.

10 comments:

Sue said...

Such pretty pictures! I had such a great time today, sewing with everyone. And I will happily share my lace stash anytime :)

Sue

Lori said...

well, look at you:) i am impressed...truly...i really need to start trying my hand at embroidery....your needle case is really cute...it sounds like you had a lot of fun at Amy's!!!

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

That party must have been a blast! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece! :)

Jess said...

Hi! I found your link on Inspireco, I love your embroidery! So pretty. I just wanted to say make sure you don't take your precious embroidery scissors on the plane, they could well be confiscated!

cupcake studio said...

Your embroidery is just beautiful! LOVE the soft colors...yum!

sweetpeaink said...

Hi :)
I'm not sure if we met last year at Silver Bella, but will definitly say hello this year. :) I'm a N VA gal too...leesburg. What fun you all had! Want to pack me in your suitcase to France?
xoxo
Cristina

Stephenie said...

I would've loved to be at that party...Sounds like alot of fun...I need to try embroidery...I keep saying I'm going to try it and never do...Thanks for the inspiration...
Hope all is well...
Stephenie

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

it's just beautiful! I'd love to learn more about embroidery. I wish I could have gone too! I'm sure you all had such a wonderful time!

Kim Caldwell said...

So lovely! I remember ooing and ahhing after your beautiful tote last year when you made it. You are so talented! Can't wait to see you again. . .

Hugs, Kim

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Even though I am not a sewer, I am sorry to have missed this get together!