Thursday, June 18, 2009

reading corner

.

Another day filled with rain made my reading corner just the place for a relaxing break. It's next to the window so I could listen to the heavy drops cascade into the garden while I started some homework. Next week sweet Amy is hosting an embroidery party, and I decided I need to learn some stitch vocabulary -- and maybe some stitches, too. Plus today I signed up for a Silver Bella embroidery swap hosted by Rebecca. Such fun ahead!

I found the two paperback books on eBay, and they look so enticing that even as a beginner I'm hooked. Luckily, they are both filled with diagrams and directions. Crewel and Surface Embroidery by Trish Burr is a 2008 publication, still available on Amazon, with 17 projects from beginner to advanced levels and lots of tips on techniques. Monograms, the Art of Embroidered Letters, by Susan O'Connor was published in Australia in 2007, so it's harder to find. Again it's filled with illustrated techniques and two sets of templates.


I thought I'd tell you a little about my reading corner. On the old turned table bought in Holland in the 80's, which sits beside my carved Victorian reading chair, are three delicate handblown glass balls from North Carolina (others have broken in our many moves) in a Coalport china bowl acquired when I worked for Wedgwood in Germany. The hand-carved lion was made by the same carver and from the same stone being used to restore columns in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre when I lived in Jerusalem in the 70's. It guards an old iron pedestal stand found long ago in a NC antique shop. The silk flowers are leftover from an art event I helped decorate. This quiet corner, like many others in my home, reminds me of all the countries and houses I've lived in, pursuing my adventures.

3 comments:

Rose Brier Studio said...

Ahh, a traveler after my own heart! I am finding that some of the most amazing embroidery books and magazines are coming out of Australia. I've been, but wouldn't a needlework class be a fun excuse to return!
Can't wait to see how your sampler turns out.
~Marilee

Sue said...

Looking forward to seeing you at Amy's next week. I have a few embroidery books that I will throw into my bag - and have you ever seen Inspirations magazine (out of Australia, of course) some beautiful embroidery to be found in them......

Sue

Lori said...

i recently bought a few books on embroidery and ribbon work...but haven't had time to play with it yet...i look forward to seeing what you create!!!