Tuesday, August 11, 2009

friends and other treasures

.

On Sunday evening, Sue wondered if I could join her for lunch and some shopping Monday morning. She was heading to Lucketts to meet Karen, the Graphics Fairy, who was donating a basket of her Fleurish shop goodies to the Michael Weiss Foundation, a charity that skater-mom Sue supports.



Sue and Karen were waiting just inside the door of the Lucketts main store, where the hottest day this summer was already testing the limited air conditioning in the huge old building.  After sorting out our day's plan, Sue surprised me with a charming gift. Inside a little polka-dot bag, in a box filled with shredded book text and tied with some of Sue's vintage lace, was her delicate hand-stitched cuff bracelet in my favorite color. Of course, I happily wore it all day and showed it off whenever possible.

For the rest of the morning, Sue and I shopped the outside and inside vendors while Karen tended her "French room" at Lucketts. Then Karen joined us for the drive to Leesburg for lunch at her new find, a shoe repair shop recently converted into a coffee shop-with-character called Shoes Cup and Cork Club.


Along with its retained signs and other retro industrial design fixtures, this quirky shoe chandelier hangs from the awesome tin ceiling.  Black buckets shade the other ceiling lights, and a floor-to-ceiling blackboard sports a crazy quilt of customers' signatures. Emptied burlap coffee-bean bags serve as window valances.  We can all vouch for the roast beef sandwich heated in the sandwich press, the unsweetened iced tea, and the berry berry smoothie (none of us is a coffee drinker).  


Since Karen usually drives south to her shop at Lucketts and goes no further, we finished off our afternoon with her first visit to The Antique Emporium and The Cottage.




















My found treasures for the day included this old green iron lamp base.  The color reminds me of the lamp posts on the bridges in Paris, but this will hold a fat white candle.  I love the red and pink painted chocolate tin, perfect for my studio colors.  A mercury glass goblet is just the right find for dripping strands of pearls, labeled from the Berlin flea market.  Sue has the eye for pearls, and helped me add medals, prize ribbons with boullion, and old photos to my stash.  Karen found the "Paris" embossed bottle for me, of course.



On the drive home, I stopped at Brossman's, a local farmstand on Rt 15, for their fresh garden produce to make a light supper on such a hot day:  open-faced sandwiches of thick tomato slices, goat cheese, fresh tangy parsley from my garden layered on Balthazar's crusty bread from Manhattan, chicken-noodle soup from the freezer, with sliced peaches and crumbled almond cookies for dessert. Yum!

.

6 comments:

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Pamela,
I had so much fun with you and Sue on Monday! It was so nice to get to know you a little better, and hear about your trip to France.
Thank you for allowing me to tag along!
Karen

Debby Schuh said...

Sounds like a perfect day and the perfect dinner! Can't wait to see you soon!

Sue said...

It was such a great day!! We must certainly get together and do this again soon - maybe Brunswick for lunch next? Thanks for joining me on a shopping adventure!!

Sue E.

Beth Leintz said...

Even with the heat, I'd call that a pretty good day!

rosecottagegardensandfarm said...

Love your days adventures. Your simple supper after all your fun sounds mothwatering!

Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

I still look back at the memory of our day at Lucketts in June....such fun we all had! I'd love to do it again!