Thursday, August 13, 2009

id check

.

Yesterday evening, while my youngest son is home visiting, we ate dinner with my second-oldest son and his wife at La Côte d'Or, a charming restaurant near their house in Arlington.  My daughter-in-law, who speaks fluent French, is planning on an école militaire in Paris next summer, and we all plan to visit her.  So she is encouraging us to get in the mood, starting now.

Our youngest, of ex-bartending fame, decided to be in charge of ordering the bottle of wine for our dinner.  This precipitated a rash of ID requests.  By the time the waitress and the maître-d' had asked not only our 24-year-old to show his, but also my 33-year-old daughter-in-law and then my 38-year-old son, I was feeling pretty young myself. It didn't take long for everyone to be exchanging pleasantries in French -- except my husband. Although he speaks several languages, including German and Finnish, French isn't his thing. As we left, he bade the staff farewell with a hearty "Cheerio!" that kept us laughing till the parking lot.

Hope you are all enjoying a pleasant week shared with family!

1 comment:

rosecottagegardensandfarm said...

Hi Pamela,

What a lovely evening shared with your family! Memories that will last through the years ahead...

Loved to read about all your creative and gorgeous preparations for the upcoming event! What fun! You have amazing talent. Thank you so much for sharing a glimpse of your beautiful designs.

Best to you,

Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm
(we met at Chateau Dumas)