Wednesday, December 23, 2009

home for the holidays

This past weekend, following the record-setting snowstorm in our area, my husband and I joined the throngs of homeowners shoveling two feet of snow off our driveways. Our spry 40-something neighbors helped shovel the last ten yards of our looong driveway in exchange for loaves of my "renowned" pumpkin bread. At the top of the driveway, however, was still the two-foot wall of snow still blocking the whole court. It appears that our homeowners' association had already gone into hibernation with our dues. So after three days of snowbound waiting, another neighbor finally hired her yard-care company to come plough our court, in exchange for my pumpkin bread. This also freed the repair truck stuck at the top of the court, trying to reach our house on Monday to fix our heater that died on Friday. He was pleased to receive some pumpkin bread, too, in exchange for bravely trudging his tools down the court on foot.


We're happily enjoying the beautiful white Christmas setting around our little house backed up against the forest preserve, even though we're still waiting for the ordered heater-repair part. And we are most gratefully reminded how easy it is to share a neighborhood. And how far the handmade touch can go.


However, with the freezer unexpectedly emptied of pumpkin bread, I've been baking in a flurry today. Youngest son comes home tonight, staying until he flies off to a classmate's wedding in Puerto Rico. We know he loves us, but he comes mainly for the food he associates with Christmas at home. And he eats a lot.


But he's arriving a bit late, so we're eating out tonight. Some place where the heating works. I'm contemplating my festive dinner attire, including a black wool turtleneck with lots of metallic threads and a lushly hand-beaded velvet Mary Frances bag that I found in Omaha. For jewelry, I may add my silver and amethyst bracelet found in Greece over 40 years ago, or my silver Bedouin bracelets from the tribes we visited. With one of my silver Armenian chains, and maybe the silver Finnish pendant from my husband's family. It's important to do what one can to add to the shimmer of the holidays, don't you think?


Wishing you a blessed holiday shimmering with joy!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Best wishes to you and your family during this holiday season!

Hope | Paper Relics said...

Merry Christmas Pam! See you next week!

Debby Schuh said...

Thank God for power of pumpkin bread! Hope your heater is fixed soon and that you have a merry Christmas!