Wednesday, March 31, 2010

checking my travel calendar

It's a beautiful Virginia spring afternoon as I sit outside, watching the squirrels chase each other through the garden bulbs, catching glimpses of red cardinals as all the birds chat happily in the trees, and working on my summer travel calendar. The long-awaited trip to Bangkok is finally happening in May, but since my husband is now making a much quicker turnaround, it's undecided whether I'll get to traipse along. Two onerous days of flying in each direction for just three days in Bangkok may not work out. Although I hope to go, I know it's a huge expense to satisfy my curiosity. But when will I get another chance? Would you go?

If not, I'll just look forward to August, when my daughter-in-law has a business trip to Paris, is renting an apartment, and has invited me to spend the month with her there. I know, Paris is somewhat bereft of Parisiens in August, and many specialty stores close or change hands pour les vacances. But a cruise on the Seine or a visit to the Paris plage will add to the fun of strolling around with my camera in the company of so many other tourists. I'll have lots of time to add to my photo collection of interesting doors, for example. And the Marché aux Puces will undoubtedly be terribly crowded but nonetheless open. After being spoiled by wandering the smaller flea markets with Kaari in Toulouse last summer, I wonder whether I'll get lost in the Paris flea labyrinth? I'd be grateful for any tips you can share.


Meanwhile, there's always eBay. These beautiful old 1930's linen sheets, with matching monograms of my husband's and my initials, just arrived from Cheniers. Won't these ensure pleasant dreams of summer travels?
.

9 comments:

SharonVM said...

Go to Thailand! If you have never experienced Asia, you should definitely go. Having been to many countries in that part of the world (and all my trips were whirlwind - fly in, have a few meetings, one day of site seeing and fly out), I can assure you it is definitely worth the long haul. You'll have plenty of time to rest on the flight back. (kidding, of course!)

Catherine said...

Oh my...Paris how wonderful. I don't care what month it is, Paris is always wonderful. You are very lucky.

Have a wonderful Easter and enjoy the beautiful Spring VA weather.

Catherine

Sue said...

Paris for a month?? Swoon!!!!

LiLi M. said...

Hi Pamela, Just popping over to wish you a very happy Easter weekend. Mmm dreaming about Paris and swooning over your linen it has to be a good one!

DanaSmith said...

Go to Bangkok!!! I grew up there.
My husband and I plan to spend lengthy periods in different places once he retires(3-5 years). Paris would be wonderful! BTW, I don't live in Fredericksburg anymore. We're in North Arlington now. My husband's morning commute went from an hour and 45 minutes to 23 minutes! We have a 1942 cottage....
Dana

DanaSmith said...

You know August is vacation time for Europeans. Many many head to the beaches and out of the City. You might luck out on the tourist stampede!

chantal johnson said...

Thanks for your sweet comment....I am not going to SB this year. Mom and I are taking an antiques weekend in October and various other day trips planned. Are you going? Hope you are doing great1

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

eeek... paris! yes there is paris to look forward to. I only dream that I will have a daughter in law that will invite me to paris one day! I LOVE those monograms... they make my heart melt.

I hope you make it to your trip to Asia... xoxo Heather

Linda said...

I kind of like Paris in August. Most places are open and there is less traffic to hassle with. You'll have a great time wandering around with a camera.