Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Young Queen Victoria page swap, part 1

Prompted by the recent release of the film The Young Queen Victoria, several friends and I joined in a book page swap to commemorate the young and feisty Queen who fell deeply in love with her handsome Prince Albert, ruled England for 60 years, and married her nine children to most of the ruling families of 19th-century Europe. We are each making pages to suit each other's book covers and theme, mailing just the pages we make rather than sending around the whole book. Every two weeks we mail off another page. Without seeing the books, however, it's been an interesting challenge figuring out what might work with their style.

Rita, my first swap partner, is a Texas redhead who loves greens, taupes, creams, and browns. Her book's theme "My Heart, the Loves of Young Queen Victoria" also honors Rita's own love of England. She included birds, flowers, fashion and interior decoration in her list, so I made this page for her book.




My super-talented Silver Bella "little sister" Robin was my second partner. As an avid fan of all things Marie Antoinette, she kept a little French in her book's theme of "Victoria's Fleurissent le Jardin." Since her preferred colors are pink, teal and cream, I made a "garden party" page with a ribbon trellis background and lots of ruffles for her book. Queen Victoria began the monarchy's tradition of inviting members of the public to the royal gardens for her annual garden party.



My most recent swap partner was Sue, a sweet generous friend who, lucky for me, lives nearby in MD. Sue and I saw the movie together when it appeared in our area, and we had fun thinking of ideas to include in our books. Sue is a history buff who had already researched young Queen Victoria and shared her fascination with me. For her book's theme "Destiny's Child," I used her soft palette of pinks, aqua, and green to make this page.



With three more swap partners to go, my next page is due soon. So much fun!
.

4 comments:

CINNIBONBON said...

Stunning pages!

SharonVM said...

How so very pretty! I am getting more into these kinds of "photo journals" recently. I love the mixing of scrapbook materials and fabric. (And I'm teaching again!)

Sue said...

LOVE the page you made for me! Its even more beautiful in person :) Thanks so much for sharing your talent and creativity!

Hugs,

Sue E.

Catherine said...

What a delightful swap. Your pages are lovely and will be treasured by the recipients for sure. My sweet daughter, Cristina is participating and having such fun as well.
Catherine