Wednesday, June 30, 2010

matchbox swap: paris edition

Although I was a late entry into Heather's recent edition of altered matchbox swaps, when she reminded that the theme was Paris, I couldn't pass it up. So I collected and gathered and stitched and glittered till I had a matchbox full to swap. Last week I sent off my French-themed goodies to my swap partners, Heather Buhaj and Connie Senyitko. I wish I had taken better photos, but here's what I can share.

For the outside, I wrapped an old Art Deco French magazine cover around the matchbox, edged it with crocheted trim, then fashioned a paper cone from an old French map to hold the bouquet of paper flowers (fresh from the Paris market, mais non?). On the painted box, I added their names to the ends.


Inside, I decided to make a couple things to personalize the rest of the Paris-themed goodies. First, I glittered the letters PARIS with my special glitter blend of aqua/silver/grey, fixed eyelets in the letters for hanging
as a banner, tucked them in an embossed wallpaper envelope, and tied them with the string for hanging (sorry, forgot to photograph the banner letters, but you can see the wallpaper envelope below).


Next, since I've lately been stitching bits of old lace on small stuffed hearts, I decided to make even smaller ones to fit in the matchbox. Using vintage crochet thread with its aged discoloration, I added my swap partners' monograms to each heart.


Among the Paris-themed goodies tucked in the box are vintage French flower seed labels, a roll of French text tape, vintage French sequins and other trims, old earrings and buttons, and more vintage flowers. Plus a little vial of my special glitter blend. I hope my partners enjoy dreaming of Paris.


.

7 comments:

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

Soooo pretty! The hearts are especially gorgeous!

Heather said...

LOVED, LOVED, Loved my box! Thank you so much for my beautiful goodies!

Stephanie O. said...

Your boxes are lovely! I too was in the swap and just loved the Paris theme...

Connie said...

Thank you so much for your Paris matchbox! I keep looking through all the wonderful treasures inside. The sweet little heart, and so many Paris themed items! Have a great weekend!

Catherine said...

Oh so beautiful Pam. Love every single detail of the box design. Just lovely. And how lucky your partners are to receive the lovlies you put inside the box.

Have a wonderful holiday week end.
Catherine

Katsui Jewelry said...

Your usual beautiful work, Pam. I love the little hearts you are making...charming!
Hugs,
Suz

Jeanneoli said...

I can't believe you will get to spend a month in France!!! Lucky. I can't wait to go back.