Friday, August 06, 2010

bonne nuit, la tour eiffel

The Eiffel Tower is often visible as a point of reference as I meander around the city. Late this afternoon I finally found my way to PADD Paris Eiffel, a fabulous magasin équitation at 14 Rue de la Cavalerie. A few minutes away from the Cambronne and just diagonally behind L'École Militaire, PADD seems to carry everything high-quality for horse riding. The young manager was expert in his advice about the proper helmet to choose, and when my French quailed at the details, he spoke excellent English, too (I think he's from Texas :). While I was there, several young women were in the shop trying on helmets and boots. However, I think their most rigorous customer is the equestrian guard still in operation at l'École Militaire.


Eiffel Tower visible from the back side of l'Ecole Militaire on my way to PADD.
The Eiffel Tower actually sits on the flat plain that extends in front of the school.

But for me, it is exhilarating and tout à fait cool to greet the tower every morning out the apartment's north-facing dining-room windows while I am eating my breakfast pain du chocolat and apricot juice.


And then to wish it a bonne nuit as I drop exhausted into bed after another day of testing my feet and my resolve on the cobblestone walks and metro stairs of this city that must be walked to see it.

.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Such an iconic sight, such an influence on the world of art right now...lol
We were in Paris once on Bastille Day, saw the parade, dashed out to Versaille to walk the gardens to see the fountains which only operate at certain times and then back to Paris, and over to the Eiffel tower to see the fireworks with thousands of other french folk. Oh the memories.
Hugs,
Catherine

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

oh my my my! Your pictures are just STUNNING! I loved them all!
How wonderful it must be in Paris! Have a fabulous time!
Robin

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

Wow, it truly is so spectacular!! Hope you are having the most amazing time!! xoxo

Katsui Jewelry said...

Pam,
You wrote this so beautifully.i was last there when I graduated from college, many years ago, and with only enough money to "take it by foot.This brings backs many memories of a "jeune fille" who was thrilled to walk those cobblestones. i will be watching for new posts!
Hugs,
Suz