Wednesday, September 22, 2010

creative fun in phoenix

The autumn theme of Carol Wingert's Heirloom Boutique class didn't bring the hot Phoenix temperatures down from 105+ degrees this weekend, but our hostess Patty offered us her beautiful home decorated for fall and a cool loft space for creating. Carol set each of our places with a rusty trunk full of vintage trims and supplies for making her "Bountiful Life" canvas book. Then to make sure we were awake, she started off the morning with a quick cupcake tutorial for the special cupcakes she had handmade for us.






From a big piece of canvas, we tore our book pages to size and began a day of layering, gluing, sewing, making ruffles, gilding with gold leaf, and waxing the embellishments for our books. My front cover includes vintage trims, a 7 Gypsies book board, feathers, flowers, a clock face, and even vines from Carol's back yard. On an inside page, a dragonfly flits among gilded leaves. As usual for me, there's still lots more work to do on this lovely layered fabric book.






Besides taking a day trip north to Flagstaff and doing some shopping, I also fit in a class with Dina Wakley at her local store The Creative Quest in Glendale. We had fun experimenting with her gel medium resist technique and creating a funky painted accordion tag book. Co-owner Kathie Shepard had a counter full of new Crafters Workshop stencils which we quickly snapped up to use in our books. Although I still have to add embellishments from Dina's kit and some journaling to my tags, I'm eager to use her gel resist technique on my journal pages. You can see it here on the cover side of my book.



.

4 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Ah great projects and lots of fun!

Katsui Jewelry said...

Oh, my gosh. I had to enlarge the cupcakes before I could tell they were not reeal, Pamela! They are just adorable. Carol certainly pulls out all of the stops with her workshops, doesn't she? That is an amazing journal. The combination of techniques...wow! I love your little book and would love to learn more resist technique. I am going to check on those stencils. They look "oh, so useful".

Having a wonderful time in Croatia!

Suz

Catherine said...

Oh I am soooo jealous!! I would love to attend one of Carol's events. Maybe we could coordinate one day and go together...sigh.
Looks like another fab project.
Catherine

carol wingert said...

As always, it was wonderful to have you out here...both as part of the day and then being able to spend some time together. It was such a fun day with creative and inspirational artists! Hugs...and hope you are having fun in Germany. Carol