Monday, August 23, 2010

postcards from paris: un peu de bleu

.

Elegant doorways can be found all over Paris.
But this photo is cropped at the knees because inelegant trash cans
lined the sidewalk edge just in front of the doors, as is often the case.


A little red, white and blue.


Another wonderful doorway, marred visually by posted announcements.
To control this, many public buildings still retain "défense d'afficher" warnings chiseled or painted in scrolling fonts along eye level (although the original 1881 law had larger intentions, including holding the "press" legally responsible for anything it printed).


Ways to maneuver around the city.


After a long walk, it's lovely to sit on a bench in a small tree-lined park
with one's pastry and Kindle, listening to the gentle fountain sounds,
feet up if possible.
.

4 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Ah bonjour ma petite! I love love love your Parisian (and Versaillan) posts! Quite a city, always, too bad that my husband thinks so too, but in a negative way (has been robbed there). I could live here. In fact I think I'm french deep down inside, I bet you are too. Have fun!

Catherine said...

Hi Pam,
Bleu...what a delightful color. Your photos are lovely. Can't believe that I will be there in 11 days. Your blog has been such a delight and has increased my anticipation for my own short visit.
Hugs,
Catherine

Kateyed said...

What a beautiful bleu, Pam. You have a great eye and Catherine is right, your photos are lovely!
Hugs,
Suz

Sahil Banga said...

Your blog is so inspiring...brilliant work here. Kudos.